Missions and Values
Click here for a list of University Life offices and services at Science and Technology Campus.
The mission of University Life is to engage students in educationally purposeful experiences resulting in student learning and development, academic success, and degree completion.
University Life will:
- Foster self-discovery and teach students to successfully navigate transitions throughout their Mason experience.
- Create opportunities and communities for student learning, involvement and engagement with peers, faculty, staff and administrators.
- Engage Mason’s diverse, global and multicultural community to enrich the educational environment, promote mutual respect and civility, and develop global citizens.
- Foster individual and community responsibility and hold students accountable for ethical practices, academic integrity and high standards of personal conduct.
- Empower students to be socially conscious leaders committed to democratic and civic engagement.
- Promote wellness, healthy lifestyle choices, and a culture of safety.
- Embody lifelong learning.
- FOSTER STUDENT SUCCESS – We believe in the potential of Mason students and strive to be their mentors, allies, teachers, and advocates. We create environments and opportunities that are conducive to their learning, development, and success.
- LIVE AND ACT WITH INTEGRITY – We are committed to the highest ethical and professional practices. We strive to be respectful, intellectually honest, and personally responsible for our idea, behaviors, and actions and to promote a safe, open, and just environment for engaging in honest discourse.
- EMBRACE OUR DIFFERENCES – We believe there is strength in diversity and inclusiveness in our local and global communities. Through our speech and actions, we affirm the dignity and self worth of all individuals and repudiate injustice, discrimination, and hatred. We actively recognize, support, teach, and advocate understanding, tolerance, mutual respect, belonging and civility.
- CATCH THE MASON SPIRIT – The Mason Spirit is the pride and excitement we feel as part of our diverse community. We embrace collaboration, involvement, teamwork, and collegiality.
- SHOW YOU CARE – Each of us matters. A genuine ethic of care binds us together and unites our community. We seek to listen and understand with our heads and hearts and to build camaraderie through humor and enjoyment while working to make a difference.
- DREAM BIG – Innovation, invention, and imagination are the cornerstone of the Mason experience. We are motivated to initiate and adapt to change driven by new ideas, processes, and technologies for improving our work and community.
- CELEBRATE ACHIEVEMENTS – We acknowledge in meaningful ways the accomplishments and contributions made by students, faculty, and staff as individuals and groups. We expect the best, support honest effort, and honor courageous acts even when success is not assured.
- PURSUE LIFELONG LEARNING – We encourage continuous learning and development for ourselves and others in and out of the classroom.
- LEAD BY EXAMPLE – We believe that everyone is a leader and that leadership exists in many forms. We empower the leader and the supporter in each of us in order to build a better world.